Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Japanese Cheese Cake




Well... this blog actually has been hibernate for a long time, but since Beth Somers (OMG!) regram my Japanese Cheese Cake photo and curious about the recipe, I'll share it with you! And usually I write my blog in Bahasa but now I will dig down my dictionary so deep for this post. LOL

As long as I know, Rikuro Ojisan is the one who made it for the first time and sell it in Osaka, Japan. That's the word Japanese came from, I guess…

I got the recipe from surfing in the internet (ofcourse…) and a cheesecake cooking course (Yup, I was so curious with this cake and ended up with so many bad result).

Here is the recipe:

250 gram cream cheese
125 ml heavy cream
60 gram butter

50 gram all purpose flour
50 gram cornstarch
5 egg yolks
lemon zest (I usually skip this and use vanilla instead)

5 egg whites
125 gram sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Heat cream cheese, heavy cream, and butter together and whisk (I usually use hand whisk) until smooth, no need to boil them. If you've already got smooth texture, that's more than okay. Aside from the heat and let it cool a bit. After this we will put the flours and we don't want to cook them.

Mix and strain flour and cornstarch together and put them into cream cheese mixture. Mix until fully combined. Add egg yolk and lemon zest and whisk and again mix until fully combined. Step aside.

Now we'll going to beat the egg whites until foamy and add sugar slowly. Keep whisking until softpeak. If you missed this peak, you'd better crack another egg and start whisk the new egg whites.

Mix cream cheese mixture together with the meringue, be gentle when fold them together to keep them thick, you don't want a runny batter…

Preheat the oven to 160°C and prepare a boiling water because we'll bake it in au bain marie method. If you are using springform pan, make sure the pan has been covered with alumunium foil. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 75 minutes (yep, 75 minutes or even more) until golden brown. Don't rush this process to get smooth and fluffy cheese cake.

After baking process, let the cake cool down and put it in the fridge about a night, it'll easier to handle especially if you want to make a double layer. I cracked it few times, but thanks for cake decorating to cover the mess up.


For the topping I used whipped cream and home made strawberry jam. Just boil 1.5 cup chopped strawberry and 0.5 cup sugar for about 5 minutes and then add 1 tbs cornstarch (mix with 1 tbs of water). 

Unfortunately, i can't show you how this cake look in slice, because I gave it for friend's farewell and they slice it after I went home *oh please...*

Now please give it a try!!




No comments:

Post a Comment